It is 1995, the 50th anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. A vigil has been set on the campus of the University of Chicago. In the center is Henry Moore's Nuclear Energy statue, commemorating the Met Lab, a part of the Manhattan Project that did research toward the atomic bomb.
A number of famous anti-war protest leaders have been invited. My grandparents are among the leaders of a Chicago group of activists known as MetroSeniors. It is they who have organized this assembly. Among the leaders is the humanitarian, Kurt Vonnegut. He gives an impassioned speech in some assembly hall on campus, or as impassioned a speech as Vonnegut can give. Word has it that in person he was a bit of a downer. But I think you could grasp that from his books.
Afterwards, there's a small party at my grandparent's house. The same one that my father grew up in. The one that I stayed in every time I went to Chicago until I was 11. 4819 South Kimbark St. in Hyde Park. Look it up-- it's a beautiful house, though at the moment there are some renovations going on. More of a construction site than a house right now. But I digress. The party.
Ah, but first there's a bit of information that I've left out. Depending on your version (as we discussed in class today), the title page may differ. There may be a part in the sub-title that says "By Kurt Vonnegut, a fourth-generation German-American now living in easy circumstances on Cape Cod [and smoking too much]..." and so on.
So, the party. It's... well, seniors and middle aged people such as my parents all around a vast dining room table, talking, whatever it is you do at parties. The smoking too much part wasn't an exaggeration. Vonnegut was in fact as close to a chain smoker as you can get without actually being one. So by this point, he's really craving a cig. Pulls one out. Quick as a flash, my grandmother (bless her heart) is there.
"There's no smoking in this house. Take it outside," she says flatly.
Vonnegut looks at her in astonishment. I mean, he is Kurt Vonnegut after all.
"I don't care who you are. No smoking here. The door is right over there if you must."
And that is the story of how my grandmother almost literally kicked Kurt Vonnegut out of her house for trying to smoke. (I believe he did eventually come back in, two or three cigarettes later, but he was nonetheless a bit miffed)

Ahahahha, I love this story! that's so cool! I love how your family has all these weird connections to famous people... like how your dad had a friend in the Shangri-las girl group band.
ReplyDeleteAwesome story--sounds like vintage Vonnegut allright. So this is the *third* time you're reading _Slaughterhouse-Five_ at Uni? Butler's class, this one, and what else? I didn't know anyone else was teaching it.
ReplyDeleteIt was also an option for the banned books project subbie year. So it wasn't specifically taught, but I still read it and gave a presentation on it.
DeleteAh. (Now why on earth would *this* book ever have been banned? Paul Lazarro's dirty mouth?) I'm reminded of "Vonnegut's" response in chapter 1 to being told that certain details about the Dresden bombing were still "classified" in 1968: "Secret? My God--from *whom*?"
Delete